Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Off the REAL ESTATE Topic

I know... I know... this is supposed to be about real estate. But I need to get this off my chest!

If you are under 40 years old, please think about this. Heck if you're over 40... please think about this!

We are in a new era. We fax. We email. We leave voice mails. We text. We IM. We Facebook. We Twitter. We blog. We put on out earphones and dig our iPods or MP3 players. WE close out the rest of the world.

Please don't forget how to interact with each other in person. Please don't forget how to look in each other's eyes. Please don't forget how to speak eloquently when it's appropriate. Please don't forget how use common courtesies. Please don't forget how to spell. Please don't forget how to read body language. Please!

I see folks reading text messages in the middle of a conversation with their friends. I see people taking phone calls while engaged in conversation with friends or family members... or worse yet, customers and/or clients.

By NOT taking a phone call, or by NOT texting right back, or by paying someone close attention you are sending a message. The message is, "You are the most important person to me right now. That other person may be important to me as well, but right now you and I are talking and they can wait their turn. It's the polite thing to do."

Personally, with clients, I tell them that my phone is on vibrate. I will only respond to the phone if I see it is a family member. And I will check to be sure there is no emergency. No emergency? Then I am right back with them. If I do not recognize the number as a family member, I will not answer it. That is what my voice mail is for.

Think of a ringing phone as a rude child tugging on your sleeve saying, "I want your attention right now! I don't care who you're talking to!" It is a rude instrument in nature. Weren't we raised by our parents to understand that it is not polite to interrupt? Let's not tolerate it!

Also, remember the power of person to person contact. Not an email. Not a text. Not leaving a message. Especially bad news! NEVER deliver bad news any other way than in person. If it has to be by phone, so be it... but do not leave a message and do not text or email!

OK... I actually probably have more crazy ideas in that department, but that's my beef for right now!

Wanna talk to me in person? Call me! 518-423-3808! But, if I don't answer right away, it's because I'm with someone else right now.... I'll get back to ya!

Peace!

No comments: