Sunday, June 29, 2008

Financing

I got a call at my home yesterday from someone I did not know. They told my wife that they had seen my name on a website and got my number. OK. So I got on the phone and was wrestling with trying to both understand and explain how this real estate home buying process worked.

The main thing the caller wanted to know was the address of a property I had listed. I gave it to them. But I could sense they were new to the home buying process, so I initiated the discussion of financing. In other words, "Have you spoken to a lending institution yet?"

Their response to me was, that they weren't worried about that. They were sure they could afford between $100,000 and $200,000. But, you know what? In today's real estate market, if you are going to make a purchase offer that includes a mortgage clause, you had better have some documentation that you are qualified to purchase this home. Very few sellers will take your word for it. AND... you will find that most professional real estate agents will not want to take you out looking until it is certain (and I mean documented by a letter from a reputable bank or institution) that you can actually do this.

So, get your finances together. Go to a lending institution, and then you'll be on your way.

If you are in the Albany NY area and would like some assistance in finding financing, I know a lot of them! email me at sstaples@realtyusa.com I'll help ya!

Have a great Sunday!

No comments: